Background Check Statistics
Did You Know
- 34% of all application forms contain outright lies about experience, education, and ability to perform essential functions on the job.
- 9% of all job applicants falsely claimed they had a college degree, listed false employers, or identified jobs that did not exist.
- 13% of the discrepancies found in employment records contained negative remarks from the past employer regarding the applicant's work habits, attendance, behavior, termination or other unfavorable conduct.
- 11% of employers referenced reported applicants ineligible for rehire.
- 11% of applicants had a criminal record in the last 7-10 years.
- 37.6% of surveyed college students admit to a history of criminal acts.
- 45% of applicants had a moving violation, accident, DUI or DWI, or a suspended driver's license.
- 13% of applicants had four or more moving violations, accident, DUI or DWI, or a suspended driver's license.
- 33% of applicants had credit records showing a judgment, lien or bankruptcy, or had been turned over to a collection agency.
- 9% of applicants had a previous workers' compensation claim.
- On-the-job violence costs employers $36 billion each year.
- The average award in a workplace violence lawsuit exceeds $1 million per case.
- 30% of all business failures are caused by employee theft.